- The Moral Void in Star Wars. How the “good” side behave quite badly. Not worrying about owning droids or killing innocents (including freedom fighters held prisoner) on the Death Star. Nor Obi-Wan lying to Luke about his father, and Yoda failing to correct this lie.
- Defending Tolkien Against Michael Moorcock’s Condemnation. A review of Moorcock’s 1987 book Wizardry and Wild Romance. Saying a lot about fantasy fiction in general, as well as illustrating Moorcock’s errors.
- Gollum as Stream-of-Consciousness. A short excerpt taken from my study of Moorcock and Tolkien.
- Home Movies of the Soul. Another short excerpt taken from my study of Moorcock and Tolkien.
- The Harry Potter Books (in 2000). The ‘Republic of Magic’ and its distinct angle on many aspects of fantasy.
- Game of Thrones and Other Filmable Fantasy. The roots of the story and the way it is told. Also what else might be films. And a comparison of the Nightwatch oath and Pippin’s oath to Denethor in Lord of the Rings.
- Power and Politics in Tolkien’s Work. Questions of democracy and economic fairness.
- A Letter to Private Eye Defending Tolkien. The general matter of Heroic Fantasy and its separate US development.
- Tolkien and British History. The real-world elements he look some of his ideas from.
- What to do with non-BBC Accents. Showing how Standard English would appear if it were written phonetically, in the way some writers do for foreign or lower-class accents.
- Black Hawk Down Snow Dogs. How listings of films can generate apparent sentences. What it says about “memes”.
- Coral alarm dwarfs pact to cut gases. How headlines can get an unwanted double meaning.
Plus some pages copied from my other site, Long Revolution, which has a lot more politics.