At the Coventry Writers Group, we regularly have a competition where everyone writes a very short story on a chosen topic. I’ve found it a useful inspiration, and think some of my stories worth circulating here.
- Love Among the Little Sparkles. Vast being exist among the magnetic fluxes of our galaxy. For them, a supernova is a small matter.
For stars, it is as if elephants are born and die in a single day, while mayflies live for centuries.
- Turning the Year. Christmas or Winter Solstice celebrated in a world very unlike our own.
- Mistcrap in Flipworld. Another Christmas, but this one darkly comic.
- Vindalf’s Gift. A man goes gambling near Christmas, but gets a chilling surprise.
- Fire works, Ice Endures. Britain has snow on Bonfire Night. How does a Guardian Spirit handle it?
- Einstein and the Official Christmas Day. The complications of time dilation, and of having a father who dies centuries ago.
- Becoming Dangerous Yellow. An Incarnate Idea finds he is outdated in the ever-changing Real World. Can he shift?
Incidentally, ‘Dangerous Yellow’ was a real phrase used by a child. It was chosen by us in the CWG as a story theme for that month.
- Galadriel’s Ring-Quest. Fan fiction, imagining how Galadriel Gained Her Ring of Power, during the wars against Sauron.
- The Binding Hammer. A mighty magic power awakens, but has no idea of who he is.
- Another much longer Tolkien tale is on the main story page.