At the Coventry Writers Group, we regularly have a competition where everyone writes a very short story on a chosen topic. I’ve found it a useful inspiration, and think some of my stories worth circulating here.
- Turning the Year. Christmas or Winter Solstice celebrated in a world very unlike our own.
- Mistcrap in Flipworld. Another Christmas, but this one darkly comic.
- Vindalf’s Gift. A man goes gambling near Christmas, but gets a chilling surprise.
- Fire works, Ice Endures. Britain has snow on Bonfire Night. How does a Guardian Spirit handle it?
- Einstein and the Official Christmas Day. The complications of time dilation, and of having a father who dies centuries ago.
- Becoming Dangerous Yellow. An Incarnate Idea finds he is outdated in the ever-changing Real World. Can he shift?
Incidentally, ‘Dangerous Yellow’ was a real phrase used by a child, and chosen by us as a story theme for that month.